Opay app is a mobile payment platform in Nigeria that offers financial services such as money transfers, bill payments, and ride-hailing services. It was launched in 2018 by Opera Software, the maker of the Opera web browser.
This article will explore everything you need to know about Opay app, including its history, services, and features and how to download the app among other topics that will be discussed in this blog post.
Overview of Opay
Opay app was founded in 2018 as a subsidiary of Opera Software, a Norwegian software company specializing in web browsers, mobile advertising, and other internet-related services. The company launched Opay in Nigeria to tap into the growing mobile payment market, driven by the increasing use of smartphones and the internet.
Since its launch, Opay has grown rapidly in Nigeria, offering its users a wide range of financial services. The company has also expanded its operations to other African countries, including Kenya and South Africa.
Services Offered by Opay
Opay provides a range of financial services to its users, including:
Opay allows users to send and receive money from other Opay users and bank accounts. The service is fast, secure, and convenient, and users can send money to any bank account in Nigeria.
Opay enables users to pay for various bills, including electricity, water, cable TV, and internet. Users can also pay for government services such as taxes and fines.
Opay offers ride-hailing services through its Oride platform. Users can book rides using the Opay app and pay for them using their Opay wallets.
Opay also provides food delivery services through its OFood platform. Users can order food from their favorite restaurants and deliver it at their doorstep.
Opay App Features and Benefits
Opay has several features and benefits that make it a popular choice for mobile payments in Nigeria. These include:
Opay uses advanced encryption technology to ensure that users’ transactions are secure and their personal information is protected.
Opay is easy to use and offers a range of services users can access from their mobile devices.
Opay transactions are processed quickly, and users can send and receive the money within minutes.
Opay charges low fees for its services, making it an affordable option for users.
Opay offers users rewards for using its services, including cashback and referral all bonuses of N800 each time someone signs up to the platform using your referral link.
Where and How to Download Opay App (Apk)
You can download the Opay app on your mobile phone. The Opay app is available for Android and iOS devices, and you can download it from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
How to Download Opay App from Google Playstore
To download the Opay app from the Google Play Store, follow these six steps:
- Open the Google Play Store app on your Android device.
- Tap the search icon at the top of the screen.
- Type “Opay” into the search bar and tap the search button.
- The Opay app should appear in the search results. Tap on it to open the app page.
- Once you are on the Opay app page, tap the “Install” button.
- Review the app permissions and tap “Accept” to allow the app to access the necessary features and data on your device.
- Wait for the app to download and install on your device. This may take a few minutes, depending on your internet connection speed.
That’s it! You have now successfully downloaded the Opay app from the Google Play Store.
How to Download Opay App from Apple Store
To successfully download the Opay App from Apple Store, follow these six steps:
- Open the App Store on your Apple device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch).
- Tap on the search icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Type “Opay” in the search bar and tap the search button.
- The Opay app should appear in the search results. Tap on it to open the app page.
- Once on the Opay app page, tap the “Get” button next to the app icon.
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID and password, or use Touch ID or Face ID to download the app.
- Wait for the app to download and install on your device.
Voila! You have now successfully downloaded the Opay app from the Apple store.
How to Create an Account with Opay
Opay is one of Nigeria’s most convenient and easy-to-use fintech platforms. With Opay, you can perform various cash transactions seamlessly. And what is more, you don’t get charged for every cash transfer or withdrawal you make; also, there are no hidden charges.
Before you can start enjoying all the benefits of using the Opay app, you must sign up or create an account with Opay. Want to know how to achieve this? Please follow through as I take you through the various steps in creating an account with Opay.
- Step 1: Download and Install the App
The first step in creating an account with Opay is downloading the app from Google Play or the Apple store. I have provided the various steps for downloading and installing Opay app from either the Google Play store or the Apple store above.
- Step 2: Provide Personal Details
After installing the app and launching it, you will be asked to provide your personal information, such as phone number, which will be verified, name, email, and a sign-in password.
- Step 3: Verification
After providing your personal information, you will be sent a verification code to the email address you provided for your verification to be successful—type in the verification code in the provided field to verify your account.
- Step 4: Create an Opay Wallet
After verifying your account, creating an Opay wallet is next. You’ll need to create a six-digit PIN which you will use to authorize transactions. Choose a strong PIN that you can remember easily.
- Step 5: Fund your Account
After successfully verifying your account, and creating a wallet, try funding your wallet.
- Step 6: Start Using your Newly Created Opay Account
With your Opay account successfully created, you can now use it to perform different cash transactions, including bill payments, data subscriptions, etc.
Note: There are three tiers of Opay account creation. These three tiers have various daily transaction limits and the maximum amount you can fund your account with. This depends on the level of information you provide when creating an account.
- Daily Transaction Limit: N50,000
- Maximum Account Balance: N300,000
- Personal Information: Only phone number and email address.
- Daily Transaction Limit: N200,000
- Maximum Account Balance: N500,000
- Personal Information: Phone number, email address, and BVN.
- Daily Transaction Limit: N5,000,000
- Maximum Account Balance: Unlimited
- Personal Information: Phone number, email address, BVN, National ID, Voter’s card, or Driver’s license.
How to Apply for Opay Debit Card
Opay has made available the OPay Debit card which can be used at any ATM point in Nigeria. The good news is that you can request an Opay Debit Card via your OPay wallet.
Another benefit of using an OPay ATM card is that it allows you to earn thousands of cash back annually. As long as you keep transacting with your card, you accumulate massive cashback for yourself.
To request an Opay Debit Card, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your OPay App.
- Click on “Me.”
- Click on “Request for OPay Debit card.”
- Put your invite referral code in the Referral Column, or skip it.
- Choose your Identity verification Type (National ID, Intl. Passport, Driver’s Licence)
- Select your Pick up Location, or choose Express to have the card delivered to your doorstep for a flat fee of N1000 (N700 + N300 delivery fee)
- Fill in the Necessary Details Required.
- Fund your account with N700 which is the ATM Card Fee.
- Tap the “Confirm,” and you are good to go.
Note: After receiving your Opay Debit Card, you must activate it in your Opay app to use it.
To activate your Opay debit card,
- Log in to the Opay app and go to the Cards tab.
- Tap on Activate Card.
- Enter the information in the box provided and input the PIN code you want to use for your Opay card. Your card will be activated.
You can try again if it failed at first; mine was activated successfully after several trials.
How to Become an Opay Pos Merchant
Owning an account is not enough to get an Opay POS machine and function as its agent. You must sign up as an Opay agent. To achieve this, you must upgrade your account to an Opay agent account. Follow the steps below to upgrade to Opay Agent via the app:
- Sign in to your Opay account.
- Select your KYC status on the dashboard.
- Tap the “upgrade to agent.” If it’s successful, your KYC level will be upgraded immediately.
- Next, send a mail to email@example.com to request the merchant form. Wait for feedback.
- Once your upgrade is successful, you will automatically become an agent.
How Much Does It Cost To Get Opay POS?
As long as you’ve carried out various transactions on your Opay account in the last 3 months, Opay will not charge you for the POS machine.
Nevertheless, you will be requested to pay a refundable caution fee of N20,000 to acquire an Opay pos machine. The caution fee is to ensure you keep the POS safe. When you return the POS to Opay, they’ll return your N20,000.
Documents Required To Get An Opay POS Machine
For your application for an Opay POS machine to be approved, you must submit the following documents:
- An Opay account
- A National ID, either a national passport or a National Identification Number (NIN).
- Bank Verification Number (BVN)
- A passport photograph
- Utility bill; not more than 3 months ago it was issued.
How Much Does Opay Charge Agents For Transactions?
- N5,000 and below N10
- N5,001 to N10,000: N20
- N10,000 and above N30
- Withdrawal below N20,000: 0.5%
- Withdrawal above N20,000: N100
Agent Commission for Bills Payments: %
- Dstv: 2%
- Electricity bills: 2%
- Startime: 2%
- Govt: 2%
Agent Commission For Data or Airtime Purchase%
- MTN: 3%
- 9mobile: 4.5%
Opay Customer Care Number
- WhatsApp: +2349165998936
- Address: Alexander House, Otunba Jobi Fele Way. Ikeja. Lagos, Nigeria. Or 103 Allen Avenue, Mosesola House, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can an OPay account hold?
The maximum amount that can be held in an OPay account without BVN is N300,000. Also, the daily transaction limit on the Opay account without BVN is N50,000.
Where is OPay headquarters in Nigeria?
Opay’s headquarters is at Alexander House, Otunba Jobi Fele Way, Lagos.
Who is the real owner of OPay?
Yahui Zhou, a billionaire and astute entrepreneur owns Opay. He is the Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Opera.
Does Opay have a bank in Nigeria?
Yes. OPay, which has a microfinance bank (MFB) license from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has become the second largest bank in Nigeria, given its $2 billion.
Opay is a mobile payment platform that provides financial services to users in Nigeria and other African countries. The company has grown rapidly since its launch in 2018, and its services are popular due to their convenience, speed, and low fees. If you’re looking for a mobile payment platform in Nigeria, Opay is worth considering.
Leave a Comment